NEHEMIAH DESIGN COMPETITION 2016
A DESIGN COMPETITION ORGANISED BY NEHEMIAH REINFORCED SOIL SDN BHD FOR CIVIL ENGINEERING, BUILDING MANAGEMENT AND ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN STUDENTS FROM BOTH PUBLIC AND PRIVATE INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER LEARNING
This design competition is open to all engineering, construction management and architectural design students from both public and private institutions of higher learning
Attractive prizes to be won
|| : RM5,000|
|| : RM3,000|
|| : RM2,000|
All engineering/architectural designs, which must include a model, must be original. The model can be built using any raw material, including cement, Styrofoam, metal, cardboard, paper or recycled materials and the dimension must not exceed 1.0m length x 0.5m width x 0.5m height.
Participation is on a team basis made up of a minimum of three (3) participants and a maximum of five (5) participants to encourage team spirit. Each team can be assisted by a lecturer/tutor as a mentor. The number of lecturers / tutors is not restricted; however, the participants must be students themselves. Institutions can send as many teams as possible to participate in this competition. To ensure strict compliance, all updates, announcements or additional rules will be published on our website from time to time.
- Upon receiving this letter, immediately send in your Registration Form attached. Please submit one Registration Form per participating group. The Registration Form can be photocopied or downloaded from www.nehemiahwalls.com
- Each team will be required to submit its technical poster to Nehemiah Reinforced Soil Sdn Bhd. The poster size must not be more than two A1 size paper.
- There will be a prequalification round for the finals. Submission shall be evaluated, and only finalists shall be selected and notified for participation during the day of the event.
- Successful participants or participating groups will be invited to display their models and technical posters during the day of the Exhibition. For multimedia presentation during the day of the event, you may bring along your laptop. No laptops will be provided by the organizers of the event.
- There will only be three major prizes for the competition for the top three participating groups.
- All ideas and solutions to the problem must be ORIGINAL and ideas that use solutions from previous years will be disqualified.
Deadline for Submission of Registration Form
25 July 2016
Deadline for Submission of Technical Posters
25 Aug 2016
Shortlisted Participants invited to participate in the Competition and time to get their models ready for the Competition
10 Sept 2016
Date of the Competition
18 October 2016
||: 18 October 2016 (TUESDAY) |
|| : 9 am – 3 pm|
|| : Monash University Bandar Sunway Campus |
Bandar Sunway (Waze location: https://waze.to/lr/hw281rvzws)
Date of the competition has been changed to 14 September 2015 due to the non-availability of the hotel on 7 September 2015.
Ulu Kelang is a notorious hotspot, infamous for a series of major erosion and landslides that are destructive to both lives and properties. Yet another major landslide has just occurred, threatening to destroy more lives and properties such as roads and residential homes. The scale and magnitude of the landslide is as depicted in the photo below.
You, as a designer with the JKR Slope Division, have been tasked with the challenge to solve this complex problem. In view of the impending monsoon season, your task becomes extremely pressing in order to avoid another disaster. Your proposed solution must be practical in view of logistics and accessibility constraints with emphasis on time and cost savings. You are expected to exercise your creativity and innovativeness to propose a holistic solution that is both structurally sound and aesthetically pleasing by incorporating ‘green technology’ features.
The proposed solution shall be presented in the form of a scale model measuring not larger than 1m length x 0.5m width x 0.5m height complete with its technical specifications. The cost for constructing the scale model should not exceed RM 200.00
Each team is required
to also present their technical posters and/or multimedia presentation (2
minutes) at the exhibition booth. Maximum size of posters: No more than
two A1 size paper. Computer, projector and screen are not provided.
Judges’ Decision is Final
The decision by the judges shall be deemed as final.
Terms & Conditions
This competition is open only to undergraduates.
All enquires or submission to be sent to:
Nehemiah Reinforced Soil Sdn Bhd
No. 45-3, Jalan PJU 5/20,
The Strand, Kota Damansara,
47810 Petaling Jaya